Blog Archive

Thursday, March 8, 2018

We are All the Same

                                 

     About 3 years ago, a son of mine was unofficially diagnosed with sensory processing disorder.  Sounds, touch and places where many people were was very hard for him.  I prayed for many years to find answers to help him feel less anxious in many environments, and little by little answers would come.  I won't share his full story now, but what I will share is how he isn't like that anymore.  It has been nothing short of a miracle to me.  But it also took a lot of hard work on his part- exercises each day, change in diet and a wonderful program called Brain Balance that helped him overcome his sensory sensitivities.  

     A little bit ago, I was helping him do his daily exercises (he still does to help maintain his progress) and he was not wanting to do them.  He usually is so obedient in doing them, so having a few times where he has a hard time I consider very lucky!  And I would expect nothing less! In fact I remember going through my own physical therapy exercises for a few years and just wanting to throw in the towel many times.  It is hard and he has been so patient.  So when I noticed he didn't want to do them I knew he needed a break, especially when I noticed he started to cry.  I felt then it was one of those times where I needed to just pull my sweet son aside and hold him and let him cry.  So I did.  And as he was with me he and I began to talk.  He wanted to know why he still had to do his exercises- it's already been so long.  So with a silent prayer, I told him again about how I prayed for him and how we found answers and that this program with these exercises was one big answer.  I also told him how he was  "diagnosed" with sensory processing (I hate labels and didn't want him to feel he was stuck with this) but how these exercises are helping him to still be better.  He then asked me what sensory processing was and I explained. But I also felt to explain how he doesn't do those things anymore.  Then I felt to tell him how every one in our own family has needed help at some time with different things.  I told him again about my depression and how I needed to reach out for help and strive to get better. I told him about things my husband, and older boys have had to do.  

      After I was finished, he said something to me I will never forget.  He looked up at me with tears still streaming down his face and said, "so no one in our family is normal?"  That innocent and honest question touched me, and with it I looked deep into those beautiful brown eyes and said, "Nathan, everyone is normal.  We are all the same, just some of us don't realize our own weaknesses yet or don't want to."

     As I said that I felt the spirit confirm to  me the truth of that- that each of us do have our own struggles and weaknesses. That's why each of us are the same.  And while yes, it isn't fair that in our world some weaknesses are accepted more than others and sometimes even sins are more widely accepted than weaknesses. And weaknesses and sins are not the same.  (That's another blog post.) What is fair is that each of us have the same chance to overcome them.

      The Savior even said, "They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick".  (Mark 2:17)  We all have need of our Savior- we all have weaknesses we have been given.  And once we realize what ours may be, that's when the true power can start to come.  For when we "(are) weak then (we) are strong"  (2 Cor. 2:10) for that's where true humility lies.  It is those that feel they do have it all together that really in fact have it together the least- for then you are not relying on Him. 

I love and adore you my Nathan.  You have had to learn hard lessons the last few years and have overcome so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment